Seiran (/'seIran/, lit. blue-indigo) is a simple bookmarks manager. It's free software and cross-platform, built with Python and SQLite.
Seiran stores your bookmarks on your machine, where they belong. It's ideal if you
- are tired of slowing down your browser with huge bookmark files
- have bookmarks you don't trust others with
- reject proprietary, black-box "cloud" services on principle
- want to back up your bookmarks regularly, in a format that will work with any browser, just in case
- use multiple different browsers or browser profiles
- want to be able to edit your bookmarks with familiar SQL tools instead of a slow in-browser PHP interface
- prefer terminals over GUI
Or all of the above!
Seiran does not connect to the Internet at any time. It does not download icons or validate your bookmarks. It does not automatically synchronize with anything. It doesn't even have an "open in browser" command. It may not be that useful, and it's certainly nothing fancy, but it does exactly what I want and need a bookmark manager to do.
At present Seiran is text-only. I've considered making a GUI interface for it, but the command line one works fine for now.
- Python >= 3.4
How to run
Install Seiran (
python setup.py install) and it will be added to your Python
/bin, etc. depending on your platform. If you like, add its location to your system path so you can use Seiran anywhere just by typing "seiran".
If you run Seiran without arguments, it will ask what you want to do. You can also invoke it with the command you want (e.g.
seiran add), to save time.
- Add a single new bookmark to the database. You'll be prompted for its title, URL, and optional "folder"/category. (The date of creation will be added automatically.)
- Delete a bookmark. Please be careful as bookmarks cannot be recovered once they are deleted.
- List all bookmarks. This could take a while for very large databases.
- Search the bookmark database based on title, URL, category, or all fields.
- Edit a bookmark's title or category/tag.
- Import a whole bunch of bookmarks at once with the
importcommand. This feature is experimental. Make sure to back up your existing database before using, just in case.
- export your bookmarks to a nicely-formatted, timestamped file. Of course, you can easily get a plain CSV with a simple SQLite command, so Seiran tries to add a bit of value by making its output a bit prettier. Available formats for exporting include HTML and TXT.
- Displays copyright information
- See a list of available commands
When you use the
import command, you'll first be prompted to make sure you really meant to do that -- it could take a long time and add quite a large number of bookmarks to your database (and may still have bugs as well). If you're OK with that, type
y for yes.
Next, Seiran supports importation from existing Seiran databases, Firefox (and derivatives, like IceCat), and the OneTab browser add-on. You'll be asked which one you want to import bookmarks from.
Firefox et al.
You must tell Seiran where to find your browser profile. This varies enough that it can't be determined automatically.
In the browser that you want to import from, either select
Help > Troubleshooting information from the main menu or simply navigate to
about:support. Scroll down to "Profile Folder" and press the "Show Folder" button. The profile folder will open up in your file manager; copy its path and paste that into Seiran.
Seiran will ask if this is a mobile browser's profile; say no, and the importation process will begin.
If you have access to an Android browser's profile (because you copied it with an add-on like Copy Profile and ADB, or are somehow running Seiran itself on mobile through science or magic), just point Seiran to the directory that contains
browser.db (not the file itself).
Seiran will ask if this is a mobile browser's profile; say yes, and the importation process will begin.
Save the contents of OneTab's "Export URLs" into a plain text (.txt) file. When prompted by Seiran, copy and paste the path to the export file. Then the importation process will begin.
Caveat: OneTab does not store dates in its export file, so those will not be preserved by Seiran. The date that you imported the bookmark will be used instead.
Yes, you can put your Seiran in your Seiran so you can bookmark while you bookmark. If you have another Seiran database and you want to combine it with your main one, this function will allow that. It is highly experimental and may ruin all the things. I am not responsible if you lose your bookmarks; make sure both databases are backed up before you attempt this.
Seiran will prompt you for the full path to the database you want to import. Provide it and the importation process will begin.
Copyright 2015-2018 Matthew Ellison.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses or write to:
Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
Boston, MA 02110-1335
Latest Source (26.3 KiB) | Source signature
Python Wheel (20.1 KiB) | Wheel signature